The process for changing the sex designation on a Canadian passport is age-depedent. It should also be noted that your passport or travel document must have a designated sex in the sex field – it cannot be removed or left blank. This is in order to comply with International Civil Aviation Organization (IACO) standards.
There are currently three options: M, F, or X. It is important to note that not all countries may accept the designation on your Passport. The Canadian Government advises that you contact your local embassy, high commission, or consulate for more information.
As the Government is providing information on the process now that ‘X’ has been introduced, the process is highly detailed, and situation specific. For this reason, please follow this link to the Government of Canada website for more information about changing your sex designation on your passport.
At the present time, the fee is waived for those changing their gender marker to “X”, but the renewal date remains the same.
Pre-‘X’ Option Process
Adults (Age 16 or Older)
You must submit an Adult Passport Application Form or an Adult Travel Document Application Form with the requested sex selected in the sex field. You must include a proof of Canadian citizenship document or immigration status document that shows the same sex as the one you are requesting.
If your citizenship or immigration status document does not show the same sex as the one you are requesting, one of the following must also be provided:
- A legal document issued by a Canadian province or territory (or equivalent abroad) indicating a change of sex and supporting identification showing a change of sex designation; OR
- A court order and supporting identification, both indicating a change of sex designation; OR
- The following Declaration Form stating the requested sex and supporting identification showing your sex as either male or female.
Child (Under 16 Years of Age)
If you are applying on behalf of a child, either the Child Passport Application Form must be filled out or the Child Travel Document Application Form must be filled out, with the requested sex selected in the sex field. You must include a proof of Canadian citizenship or immigration status document that shows the same sex being requested.
If your citizenship or immigration status document does not show the sex that you are requesting, you must provide one of the following:
- A legal document issued by a Canadian province or territory (or equivalent abroad) showing a change of sex designation; OR
- A court order indicating a change of sex; OR
- A Declaration Form stating the requested sex.
Changing Your Sex to ‘X’ (Unspecified)
The process for changing your sex to ‘x’ on your Passport is evolving and age-dependent. For detailed information on having an observation added to your passport (which will state that your sex should be ‘x’), please click here.