outline of the province of Manitoba with a yellow shape


Gender Marker

The fee to change your gender marker in Manitoba is $60, which includes a new birth certificate. You will be allowed to change your gender marker even if you have not or do not plan on undergoing any gender affirmation surgery. You can change your gender marker to F, M, or X.   

You must meet the following requirements:  

  • Have been born in Manitoba, regardless of how long you have lived there 
  • Return all previously issued birth certificates 

Note that if you were not born in Manitoba, you can still apply for a change of sex designation certificate, just not for a birth certificate change.  

For adults (age 18 or above), follow the following steps:  

  1. Complete the application for a change of sex designation form  
  2. Provide a government issued photo ID (a list of acceptable forms of ID can be found here). If you plan to apply in person, bring your original ID with you. If you plan to apply by mail, have the ID confirmed or notarized by your witness  
  3. Write a statutory declaration (a statement confirming your gender identity), and have it witnessed by one of the people on this list 
  4. Get a letter from a healthcare professional (medical practitioner, nurse practitioner, psychologist, or psychological associate) 
  5. Complete the application for a Manitoba Birth Document 

For minors (age 17 or under), follow the same steps as adults but also ensure that your supporting health care professional indicates that you have the capacity to make health decisions.   

You can also change your gender marker on your driver’s license to M, F, or X, or remove it completely at no cost and with no additional supporting documents. To learn more, click here 

Sources: Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency – Change of Sex DesignationManitoba – Manitoba Public Isurance – Gender Marker Change; CBC News 

Human Rights

Gender identity is protected under the Manitoba Human Rights Code. This is interpreted to also include gender expression. The Code defines gender identity as “a person’s internal, individual experience of gender” and gender expression as “the way in which an individual presents and communicates gender.”   

The province has a document that outlines guidelines for the protection of gender identity. 

If you have been discriminated against due to your gender identity or gender expression in a way that is protected under this Act, you can file a human rights complaint through the Manitoba Human Rights Commission.  

Source: Manitoba Human Rights CodeManitoba Human Rights Commission 

Name Change

You will need to submit different documents to change your name depending on your age. The fee for this change is $120.07, but may change depending on where you get your fingerprints taken.   

For all ages, you must meet the following requirements:  

  • Have lived in Manitoba for at least three continuous months before applying  

For adults (age 18 or older, or under if you are married, in a common-law relationship, or have custody of a child), follow the following steps:  

  1. Fill out the application for a name change   
  2. Send the application with all supporting documents (outlined in the application) to Vital Statistics by registered mail or by scheduling an appointment   
  3. Wait for Vital Statistics to send you a Legal Change of Name and Fingerprinting Information Sheet 
  4. Once you have the sheet, contact an authorized fingerprinting agency to make an appointment to have your fingerprints taken    
  5. Bring the sheet with you to the agency along with the required fees for that agency (changes depending on where you have your fingerprints taken), and undergo the fingerprinting  
  6. Once approved Vital Statistics will process the change and mail you a change of name certificate  

For youth (age 17 or under), follow the following steps:  

  1. Have a parent/guardian fill out the change of name application form   
  2. As part of the application form, notify and get consent from all other parents/guardians    
  3. As part of the application form, fill out your own written consent to the change if you are 12 or older 
  4. As part of the application, get the necessary sections notarized by someone authorized to do so (this can include a lawyer, notary public, etc.) 
  5. Submit the application and supporting documents to Vital Statistics   

Sources: The Change of Name ActManitoba Vital Statistics Agency – Legal Change of Name.