outline of Saskatchewan with a green circle


Gender Marker

You will need to submit different documents to change your gender marker depending on where you were born and where you currently live. The fee for this change is $20, plus a fee of $35-$40 to receive a new birth certificate. You will be allowed to change your gender marker even if you have not or do not plan on undergoing any gender affirmation surgery. You can change your gender marker to F, M, or X, or remove your gender marker.    

Follow the following steps:  

  1. Complete the appropriate form, depending on where you were born and where you currently live  
  2. Complete a statutory declaration   
  3. Return any previously issued birth certificates    
  4. Provide a letter from a physician or psychologist, who is lawfully allowed to practice within Canada, which states: 
    1. Your name and date of birth; 
    2. The name, address, telephone number, and other contact information for the physician or psychologist; 
    3. That the physician or psychologist is a practicing member in good standing in a Canadian jurisdiction and includes their license number; 
    4. That the physician or psychologist has treated or evaluated you; 
    5. That in the physician’s or psychologist’s opinion, you identify with and maintain the gender identity that corresponds with the requested amendment; and 
    6. That the physician or psychologist is of the opinion that the change of sex designation on the birth registration is appropriate.     
  5. If you are under 18, this letter must also state that in their opinion, you have the capacity to make healthcare decisions 
  6. Submit your application and supporting documents to eHealth Saskatchewan 

To request a birth certificate without a gender marker, fill out the application a for birth certificate form and check the appropriate box.  

Sources: eHealth Saskatchewan – Change Sex DesignationSaskatchewan Human Rights Commission – Saskatchewan Court allows removal of gender from birth certificatesSaskatchewan – Sex Designation Removal 

Human Rights

Gender identity is protected under the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code. This also includes gender expression.  The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission defines gender identity as “an individual’s internal and inherent sense and/or experience of gender” and gender expression as “the external representation of one’s gender identity.”  You can find a clear overview of what is protected and how you must be accommodated on the Commission’s website.   

If you have been discriminated against due to your gender identity or gender expression in a way that is protected under this Act, you can file a complaint with the Commission. Note that you need to file this complaint within one year of the event. 

Source:  Saskatchewan Human Rights CodeSaskatchewan Human Rights Commission – Human Rights of Transgender PeopleSaskatchewan Human Rights Commission. 

Name Change

The fee to change your name in Saskatchewan is about $135.   

For all ages, follow the following steps:  

  1. Contact eHealth Saskatchewan at 1-800-667-7551 to have them mail you a Name Change Eligibility Form   
  2. Fill out the Eligibility Form and return it. If you are eligible you will be sent a Legal Name Change Form   
  3. Fill out the Legal Name Change Form  
  4. Have the form signed by a Notary or a Commissioner of Oaths 
  5. Submit the completed form back to eHealth Saskatchewan   


To change your name on a driver’s license take your new Birth Certificate or Name Change Declaration to any license issuer. They will take a new picture and request a new card. There is a $15 fee for this change.  

Sources: TransSask Name Change Guide