Name Change – British Columbia

In the province of British Columbia, the name change process is age dependent. If you are an adult (19 years of age or older) you can apply on your own behalf, of if you are under 19 years of age and in custody of a child. If you are a minor, your parent or legal guardian must fill out the name change form on your behalf. Further, in both cases, you must have permanent residence in British Columbia, or have lived there for three months immediately preceding your application.

Presently, there are two ways to apply:

  1. Apply and pay online with a credit card if you are 19 years or older and changing your own name; OR
  2. Complete an Application For Change Of Name and submit the application and required documents and payment to the Vital Statistics Agency, either in person or by mail.

If you were born in Canada, you must provide your original birth certificate with registration number. If you were born outside of Canada, you must provide a certified copy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card or Canadian Citizenship Card/Certificate.

If you were born in BC and have lost your birth certificate, you may include a Birth search request in your application along with the required fee. If you are completing the application of behalf of a minor, you must provide the minor’s original birth certificate from their country of birth showing their parentage.

If your documents are in another language, a certified English translation of the documents must be included.

If the person who is changing their name is 19 years of age or older, they must also undergo a finger printing process. Fingerprints must be taken prior to submitting the application. The applicant must include a photocopy of the original receipt of fee taken by fingerprinting officials. For more information on where this can be done or to find an accredited company or affiliate, please click here.

If you have changed your name before, you must provide the original Change of Name certificate(s). If you require a copy of a prior Change of Name certificate, you must request one and you must include the required fee. For an Application for Change of Name Certificate, please click here.

Finally, all of these documents must be submitted along with the required fees to the British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency. For contact information or more information about the name change process, please click here.

Source: British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency – Legal Change of Name Application.