Gender Marker – Manitoba

Birth Certificate
As of February 1, 2015, the process for changing your gender marker in Manitoba has significantly changed. Most importantly, recent changes to the legislation removed the requirement for applicants to undergo SRS in order to change their gender marker on a Manitoba birth registration or birth certificate.

In order to apply for a change of gender marker, the applicant must complete the Application for a Change of Sex Designation on Birth Registration and Birth Certificate form, and pay the prescribed fees. The applicant must also provide proof of identity, using government issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license. For a list of acceptable forms of identification, please click here.

A statutory declaration (witnessed) and a letter from a healthcare professional are also required. The following healthcare professionals can provide a supporting letter. All previously issued birth certificates or birth licenses must be returned along with the application. Finally, an Application for a Manitoba Birth Document must be completed.

For more detailed information about the process, please click here.

Source: Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency – Change of Sex Designation.