Legal Service Providers – Nova Scotia

Canadian Human Rights Commission
The CHRC administers the Canadian Human Rights Act. If you believe you’ve been discriminated against under one of the protected grounds, you can file a complaint with the CHRC, who will investigate it.

Toll free phone: 1-888-214-1090

Dalhousie Legal Aid Service
Provides legal aid for low-income individuals and has a trans rights community file, taking cases of family law, human rights, youth criminal justice involving transgender clients and other members of the queer community.

Phone: (902) 423-8105

French Speaking Lawyers Association
Directory of French-speaking lawyers in Nova Scotia.

Jason Marc Charrier
Marc is a lawyer with Muttarts law firm in Kentville, NS. He practices in the areas of child protection, immigration, family law, and administrative law (such as human rights).
Phone: 902-678-2157

Legal Advice for Sexual Assault Survivors
Nova Scotia has created a Legal Advice for Sexual Assault Survivors program, which provides two-hours of legal advice at a time to adult survivors of sexual assault.

The Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia (LISNS)
LISNS provides legal information and resources. It offers free 30-minute summary legal advice. They also have a Lawyer Referral Service and a Mediator Referral Service, that allow you to speak with a lawyer or mediator for 30 minutes for no more than $20 + tax.

Phone: (902) 454-2198 ext 105

Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission
The NSHRC administers the Nova Scotia Human Rights Act. If you believe you have been discriminated against, you may contact them to file a complaint.

Phone: (902) 424-4111
Toll free: 1-877-269-7699
TTY: (902) 424-3139

Nova Scotia Legal Aid
Provides free legal representation to individuals who are financially eligible for legal aid.

Nova Scotia Rainbow Action Project (NSRAP)
NSRAP advocates for legal and social equality for people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.

Nova Scotia Youth Project
The Youth Project provides resources for youth, including legal referrals.

To be listed as a trans-positive/knowledgeable legal service provider, please email JusticeTrans with your organization name, a brief blurb about the legal services you offer, and your contact information.