Name Change – Northwest Territories

In the Northwest Territories, the name change application process is age-dependent. There is one Change of Name package for all applicants. Along with the application package, original birth certificates must be included for each person born in Canada and changing their name legally. Finally, the applicable fees must be included with the application.

19 Years of Age or Older
If you are 19 years of age or older, you must be: a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or otherwise legally entitled to remain or live in Canada; and a resident of the Northwest Territories and have lived in the Northwest Territories for at least three months in a row within the one year period before the application date.

If you are under 19 years of age, you may also be eligible if: you are a spouse, or have been a spouse; or you have lawful custody of a child.

Under 19 Years of Age
If an individual is under 19 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must apply on their behalf. Any other persons who are lawfully parents or legal guardians of the child must provide their consent to the name change. If the child is 12 years of age or older, they must complete a consent form, as well.

For additional information, please click here.

Source: Northwest Territories Health and Social Services; NWT Name Change Package.