Gender Marker – Québec

A number of important changes have come into force in Québec. As of March 1, 2014, it is no longer necessary for a citizen to publish notice of an application for a change of gender marker; additionally, the Directeur de l’état civil no longer is required to publish notice of its decision authorizing the application.

As of October 2015, it is no longer required for a person to have undergone medical treatment and surgery to change their gender marker.

The requirements at present are age-dependent:

  1. Where the applicant is 18 years of age or older, they must fill out the following form.
  2. Where the party wishing to change their gender marker is under the age of 14 years old, their mother, father, or tutor must fill out the following application.
  3. Where the applicant is between 14 and 17 years of age, there are two options: the first, is the applicant may apply on their own behalf,
    using this form. Should they wish, or their mother, father, or tutor wish, to apply on their behalf, the following form must be filled out.

There are different documentation requirements for each of the three types of applications; each application contains a checklist of documents to be included.

In particular, for minors, a letter from a physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, sexologist, or social worker authorized to practice in Canada or in the State in which the person is domiciled, must be included. The letter must declare that the healthcare professional has evaluated or followed the person concerned in the application, and that they are of the opinion that changing the applicant’s sex designation is appropriate.

Consent must also be obtained from all of the child’s parents/tutors. If consent cannot be obtained, or the other parent/tutor objects to it, you can file an application with the court to obtain the requested change, before filing the application with the Directeur de l’état civil.

For more information about what is required during the application process with the Québec Directeur de l’état civil Québec, please click here.

Source: Québec Directeur de l’état civil Québec – Change of Sex Designation.