Gender Marker – Saskatchewan

Birth Certificate
Note: On May 24, 2018, a Saskatchewan judge ruled that sections 31 and 65 of the Vital Statistics Act were contrary to section 12 of the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code. The ruling came in response to two human rights complaints, one filed in 2014, and the other in 2017. Based on the complaints and the ruling, the court ordered that the government must allow for the removal of gender markers from birth certificates. Additionally, the age restriction was also removed from the change of sex designation process. The Saskatchewan government was ordered to remedy the breaches within 45 days. As of May 30, 2018, no changes have yet been made to the eHealth Saskatchewan regarding the Change of Sex Designation process. The information provided below is the process as of the latest update made to this page based on the information detailed on the eHealth Saskatchewan website.

In Saskatchewan, it is permissible to change your gender marker without proof of having undergone GRS. To request a change of sex designation you must 18 years of age or older, and born in Saskatchewan.

You must provide eHealth Saskatchewan with the following:

  1. A completed statutory declaration, signed before a Commissioner of Oaths or Notary Public, that includes:
    1. Your name as it appears on your birth registration;
    2. Your date of birth;
    3. Your mailing address, telephone number, and email address;
    4. The change of sex designation being requested; and
    5. A statement that you have assumed, identify with, and intend to maintain the gender identity that corresponds with the change being requested.
  2. A letter from a physician or psychologist, who is lawfully allowed to practice within Canada, which states:
    1. Your name and date of birth;
    2. The name, address, telephone number, and other contact information for the physician or psychologist;
    3. That the physician or psychologist is a practicing member in good standing in a Canadian jurisdiction and includes his/her license number;
    4. That the physician or psychologist has treated or evaluated you;
    5. That in the physician’s or psychologist’s opinion, you identify with and maintain the gender identity that corresponds with the requested amendment; and
    6. That the physician or psychologist is of the opinion that the change of sex designation on the birth registration is appropriate.
  3. Any previously issued birth certificates or certified copies thereof; and
  4. The required fees.

For more information, please visit eHealth Saskatchewan.

Sources: eHealth Saskatchewan – Change Sex Designation; Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission – Saskatchewan Court allows removal of gender from birth certificates.