Gender Marker – Yukon

Birth Certificate

In June 2017, the Yukon Legislative Assembly passed changes to the Vital Statistics Act, removing the requirement for individuals to have SRS in order to change their gender marker. In order to be eligible to change your gender marker on your birth certificate, you must have been born in Yukon, and are 16 years of age or older. If you are under 16 years of age, a person having custody of you must apply on your behalf, or it must be authorized by Yukon Supreme Court on your behalf.

There are two separate forms available: one for applicants aged 16 and older, and those for applicants under the age of 16. These forms are available online from the Yukon Health and Social Services website.

Applicants may apply in person at the Vital Statistics office in Whitehorse, by mail, or via phone (867-6675207 or toll free 1-800-661-0408 extension 5207). Your application must be accompanied by the associated fees.

Source: Yukon Health and Social Services – Amendments to Human Rights Act and Vital Statistics ActYukon Health and Social Services – Change of Sex on Birth Registration.